I am so sick and tired of hearing about the bad economy. Wanna know why? Here’s a list:
1) For many people it’s sucked for a long time. (Ask the folks who lost their jobs to the outsourcing trend that started almost 20 years ago)
2) The only reason it’s getting tons of air time now is because rich people and the upper middle class are finally be effected. As a former social worker I can tell you I was dealing with the fall out of the “balloon” economy ten years ago. It’s no surprise to me.
3) It’s giving corporations the excuse to lay off more workers (which is a dumb move because it diminishes the amount of revenue circulating in the domestic/international market).
4) It’s also become the most common thing you hear people repeat in conversations. OH GIVE ME A BREAK. Didn’t anyone learn about gravity (in regards to the stock market) what goes up must come down (at some point)…COME ON!
So, let’s get this out of the way: How can Crocheters help the economy and make the world a better place.
1) Buy from local businesses as much as possible, for hooks, yarns etc. If you can’t find them in person, look on line. You money gets five times the mileage when you spend it locally than when you spend it out of the local economy!
2) Offer to teach classes to folks on how to make their own cool crochet gifts and fashions. When pennies are tight handwork always goes up in favor. Kids love making phone covers, and game system cozies, they can make hair scrunches and book marks for friends! Young mother’s love to learn to make for baby..etc etc etc…
3) Find local designers and buy their patterns. Especially the indie designers. That gives the little guy more cash.
There is no such thing as too big to fail. Having all the money in the big boys hands is a dangerous economic prospect. In fact it has very much led to economic feudalism. No one is too big to fail, everyone is expendable, anyone telling you different is trying to sell you something.
I firmly believe the more we can support the medium to micro businesses the more we shall empower and enable sustainable communities….and CROCHET can play a huge part in that! How?
The microcosm always influences the macrocosm. Ask any scientist.
Join me, let’s save the world today with crochet…Raise your hooks!